writing skills and discover that writing can be fun.
Foster creative thinking and expression.
Increase students' comfort level with the Internet and develop research skills.
1) Navigate through an online interactive virtual zoo to create imaginary animals by combining different parts of real animals.
2) Choose one of the combination animals and write a short story about it.
3) Share the story with other students by printing it or adding it to a class Web page.
|Materials||Switch Zoo Web
Word processing program to write the story and add a picture of the animal.
Web publishing program to create a page about the animal. (optional)
|Procedures||1) Visit Switch
Zoo as a group and discuss the attributes of the nine featured animals.
Consider factors that influence an animal's behavior and share stories
about students' experiences with animals.
2) Direct the students to make various animal combinations and each choose one of them to be the subject of the story.
3) Provide a list of aspects of the animal's life that could be explored in the stories, for example:
Additionally, a creative scenario could be suggested to provide a framework for the story. Some examples:
4) After the stories have been written, assist the students in putting a picture of the animal and the story together on a page, either to be printed or published as a class Web page.
|Assessment||Read all of the stories together as a group, then ask each student to choose their favorite story and explain what made it interesting to them.|